Thursday, September 10, 2009

love at first sight


I had a nice suprise waiting for me in the garden yesterday.


A 70's vintage Bernina Record 830, on loan from a friend. And it weighs a TON. It is so lovely to work with such a solid machine, very advanced for it's time and so unbelievably quiet and smooth.

I went to a fabric store in London last week and found some small floral quilting cotton for a littlest C's quilt. I want to try and tackle a twin size quilt for her, inspired by the lovely Pip Studio. The biggest quilt I have made is a cot size so wish me luck on this one. I am still undecided on prewashing vs. no prewashing. I usually always prewash but I will include some precut liberty squares that are unwashed..would love to hear what you do.

I visited Liberty as well. What a treat to see and feel those lovely tana lawns. Picked up a large remnant for my stash. I loved the vintage look and the yellow and dark greys together.

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    I have the very same Bernina and also love it. The oldies are always the best :o)

    Monda
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to use an old bernina at art school, they are so lovely, and never seem to break down.
    Good luck with the quilt! I'm about to start a larger quilt too, having never made one bigger than a cot quilt. And I never pre-wash, partly because I'm lazy, and also because I love the way the fabric wrinkles when it is washed after it is finished.
    And lucky you going to liberty - that is one of my favourite stores, the fabric you bought is beautiful.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what you create with that sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete